1. A versatile blazer. While I love wearing my suiting jackets with items that aren't the matching suit, nothing can beat a great, semi-casual blazer for its functionality, especially since you don't have to worry about it fading because it doesn't need to match a skirt or pants. Choose one with a bit of stretch (and maybe a contrasting lining) for all day comfort and a dash of style that can be added to nearly every ensemble!
2. A patterned scarf. When the weather cools down, scarves are an obvious and easy way to accessorize an outfit. However, in my very extensive scarf collection only two of them are solid colors. Why? Patterns don't feel as overwhelming in a scarf as they do in a shirt or dress so they are an easy way to add visual interest.
3. A Little Black Dress. We have returned to the season of the LBD! Although I advocate for bright colors all year round, we can now safely wear our darker colors without looking out of place amongst the neons and pastels of summertime.
4. A fun skirt. One of the easiest ways to be ready for the upcoming parties of the season is with a fun skirt! You can all use your own metric for measuring fun, but in my closet it is a black sequin skirt. With a statement piece on your lower half, you can pair it with a solid colored sweater and and a simple necklace or scarf.
5. A long sleeve blouse. When it is chilly, long sleeves are a must, but too often that means choosing between a t-shirt and a button up oxford. Look for something that will pair well with your fall skirts (without making you look like you are heading to the office) but that can also be thrown on with jeans and a cardigan when you want to look nice for lunch with your friends. Most of the year sleeveless blouses reign supreme in the stores so now is the time to buy some sleeves!